Monday 2 May 2011

Opening Credits

What on earth is 'commercial awarness'? Don't worry, all you need to do is 'read the newspaper'! Pft!

I have a BSc. Hons. in Pharmacology and Molecular Genetics...hmm, definitely was not aware of mergers and acquisitions, financial restructuring, the stock market...If I was not reading it in the Metro whilst on my way to work, then I did not know about it!

I have found myself studying law, pursuing (more like fighting to get into) international commercial law firms, for so many reasons that I could talk all day about it! I felt like I have what the firms are looking for, except this 'commercial awarness' that they keep banging on about.

Law firms want a person that understands their clients business and the market that their business is in. So if you don't show that you have an understanding of what is going on today with companies (potential clients, competitors of clients, current clients etc), why would they want to give you a vacation scheme, let alone a training contract?

I know, I know, coming from a non-business background how can you understand what that dreaded 'business section' is saying past the second paragraph in any article...lets not even get onto the Financial Times!

So, I aim to blog about main events taking place today, albeit an acquisition of a company, political issues and their effect on the market, liquidation of a company and other daunting issues!

Without being patronising, of course, I will try and explain what is going on in a simple yet detailed manner.

I hope you find this blog useful and please email me if you would like me to write about anything in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment